Reading Options

https://orintercollegiatejournal.com/2016/02/26/an-archeology-of-books/

The list of stories within the UnTextbook is vast, and upon first glance quite intimidating. However, as I weeded through the options I discovered the general genre in which I am interested in for the rest of the semester. I was surprised by the amount of foreign influence found within the UnTextbook, as classes within this University typically stay within the native American realm.  Nonetheless, I branched out in my interests, but not by much.

First I chose Tejas Legends as a subject of interest, mostly due to my heritage as I am a 7th generation Texan. It tells stories of its rich history that include both its natural history and its history of Native American influence. I have always had such an interest in history, so I feel that this genre was a good mix of business and pleasure.

Now that I found my history fix within the course, I wanted to focus a little bit on the classics found within Hans Christian Andersen's stories. Aside from my unwavering interest in mermaids, this collection highlights classics that I have not revisited in years. I always enjoyed reading a story like "The Princess and the Pea" to then dissect its true nature, this was one of my favorites tasks to do when in prep school. Combine that with the story of "The Little Mermaid" and I am set.

Finally, the last collection of stories that interested me was the compilation of Alice in Wonderland. I have not reread this story in quite some time, and I find the literary descriptions and imagery inspiring. I have always enjoyed how this story draws on issues found within our society. My opinions could change as we begin to explore other tales, but as for now, these three collections contain subjects more personal to my interests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impersonally Personal Introduction

Week 3 Story: Venus' Vanity