Storybook Favorites

There is a time in each child's life when the facade of storybooks is shattered by the introduction of the stories true origins. Suddenly darkness overshadows each story's outlandish perfectness and we begin to see the true twisted nature of our creative ancestors. More specifically, my intrigue with mermaids began when I was a young girl.



Upon learning about the sailor's tale version of mermaids my intrigue only deepened as I began to understand that not all fairy tales need to be polished. The idea of a mythical world being created for the purpose of adult entertainment seems like more of a bridging point for children to enter adulthood without ignorance. It shows how not everything is not as it seems the older we get. With that being said, I noticed multiple mermaid tails and I look forward to seeing the development of what once was only "The Little Mermaid" to me. In "Mermaids: The Eternal World of Water" mermaids were described as mysterious and beautiful while also being full of vengeance. It continued to follow the twisted realities of their origin while also showing the pure power and ability mermaids harbor throughout the ocean's tales. 

Secondly, a title that caught my eye quite quickly was "Alice's Journey Through Social Media". There is a rabbit hole mentality when dealing with today's digital universe. The title itself does spark self-reflective questions that do not seem to have a great answer. Nonetheless, the story was written in a hilariously communicative way from the perspective of a 21st century Alice. She expresses her frustration and confusion when dealing with the world beyond the rabbit hole, which made me think about just how many crazies you encounter deep inside the internet. In the end, she was dreaming for only 40 minutes, however, once you enter the rabbit hole it is easy to waste much more of your time. 

Lastly, an obvious tale of intrigue for me is the story labeled "OU's Haunted Halls". Any time I have the opportunity to hear unknown history of places directly connected to me, I am all ears (or in this case, all eyes). This story link lead me through four different stories of ghostly encounters throughout OU's campus. More importantly, it told the story of "A Night at the Old Tri-Delt House". So, being a Tri Delt and having lived in the house, my intrigue grew dramatically. However, I ended up being quite confused because it was told from a males perspective and I could not tell if he got chocked by a ghost at the library or at the house, so maybe that adds to the mystery? Regardless, I am for sure telling the younger girls that there are horror stories that took place within Tri Delt's walls.

Overall the Storybook list is stocked with bizarre stories and multiple similar stories in different perspectives. I look forward to expanding on each of them the further we fall down the rabbit hole this semester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impersonally Personal Introduction

Week 3 Story: Venus' Vanity