Topic Brainstorm

https://www.walldevil.com/artwork-mermaids-pirates-of-the-caribbean-on-stranger-tides-redheads-ships-syrena-women-wallpaper-22504/

While reading the expansive list that consists of project topics, the diverse range of subjects inspires a general theme that I wish to focus on. The project ideas fall into these four categories: Fairy Tale PrincessesMermaidsWomen Pirates and The Land of Oz.

My decision to focus on either Mermaids or Women Pirates stems from the idea of combining forces between the two. As I previously mentioned in my blog, I have always been an admirer of mermaids. It began with my love for Disney's The Little Mermaid and grew with my fascination with their stories dark origin. With that being said, their origin lies with pirates lost at sea, fantasizing about a woman that could put an end to their loneliness. So, I think it would be interesting to create a crossover between mermaids and women pirates by combining their powers. I believe that using basic mermaid based vernacular will help in discovering more about how mermaids and piracy previously co-"existed".

In addition to combining mermaids and pirates, I would like to expand on the Land of Oz for the purpose of modernizing its iconic morals found within each of its characters. I want to translate each character's journey into modern times. I believe that learning about the Land of Oz will be a helpful place to begin my research.

Much like Oz, I would like to modernize Princesses. I feel that princesses in the past have been portrayed as delicate so I would like to create a basis for "super hero" dynamic. It would be interesting to turn past princesses into advocates for some type of modern movement, giving young girls a different message than a damsel in distress. For example, turn Beauty and the Beast into a story of Belle's triumph without the prisoner sequence.

Comments

  1. Hey again! These are all great topics for your project/storybook! I also looked into doing mine over mermaids, it seems underwater creatures fascinate us all. However I think your idea to study mermaids and pirates as the co-existed is something not many have thought about but after you writing about it, I am interested. I mean it makes sense that somewhere along the line mermaids and women pirates have to cross paths, or at least cross stories. And lastly your idea to bring Oz to modern day is brilliant, I think we often think of the morals as gone to the past but you could easily and interestingly bring them to today. No matter what you choose, it will be worth a read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Impersonally Personal Introduction

Week 3 Story: Venus' Vanity