Feedback Strategies: A gift

Giving Feedback

Giving feedback is much better than getting feedback, however, if we approach giving feedback more positively than it would limit the negativity surrounding feedback in general.

This summer was my first glimpse into what it is like working with a team. Yes, we have done group work in class, but there is something far more meaningful when working with an actual companies team. My internship required large amounts of writing due to our online presence, so I was able to work with other writers giving and receiving feedback.

Ultimately I thought we all worked well together and were able to fully communicate areas for improvement. When commentating on someone else's writing I typically posed each critique as a simple suggestion, as in "Maybe reword this". More often than not they received my suggestions respectfully and made changes accordingly. I learned that feedback is a gift, and if often meant for the success of others in addition to your own.

As for myself, feedback is invaluable when it comes to my writing because more often than not I can cut word fat all over.

While reading Be a Mirror I recognized that the key to giving good feedback is to phrase it as a statement rather than a judgment, because "a mirror’s job is to reflect back what is there without judgment". Additionally, there are five qualities of feedback that support a growing mindset: 

  1. Be specific
  2. Focus on what the reader is doing 
    • Not what is missing
  3. Focus on the process and the work the writer put in 
  4. Make sure it can transfer
  5. Take yourself out of the feedback 
    • Rather than "I like how you..." say "When you.."
Secondly, I chose to read Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise? due to the validity of the question posed. As I wrap up my college career and enter the workforce, I want to be prepared for getting little praise. However, I want to understand why and how to excel without the recognition that I am used to receiving on my school work. 

What I learned is that managers do not enjoy giving negative feedback or feedback in general. More specially, they think that positive feedback is optional. Nonetheless, employees feel that their manager is more effective when giving positive feedback. Managers are unaware of their lack of positive feedback due to their ignorance of its benefits, in turn limiting their effectiveness. If managers were to begin sharing positive feedback it would motivate even the employees not receiving the feedback due to the hope of recognition. 

The article did not answer my question or concerns, but it does prepare me in knowing that if I do not get credit where credit is due, I'm not the only one! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impersonally Personal Introduction

Week 3 Story: Venus' Vanity